A closer look at the Inverted Winger role in Football Manager.
What is an Inverted Winger?
Football Manager states: The Inverted Winger aims to frequently cut inside into the attacking third to open up space for overlapping full-backs and to subsequently overload retreating defenders. The Inverted Winger works best when the player's strongest foot is opposite to the side of the pitch he's playing on.
The Inverted Winger is available on a Support and Attack duty.
Difference between an Inside Forward and Inverted Winger
An Inside Forward is a player who will look to cut inside without the ball to find space near or inside the penalty box. Typical Inside Forwards are Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah. The Inverted Winger will stay on the side line and will cut inside with the ball in their possession. Typical Inverted Wingers are Riyad Mahrez, Arjen Robben.
Also, the Inside Forward is more attacking and will be positioned further up the pitch, where an Inverted Winger will stay out wide until he receives the ball, creating space for attacking midfielders and an overlapping full- or wing back.
When do I pick an Inverted Winger
The Inverted Winger can work in almost every tactic that uses wingers. It all comes down to the players you have in your squad. A speedy dribbler is the ideal player to play as an Inverted Winger but also as an Inside Forward. It will all come down to your own tactical preferences. Do you want your wingers to come inside with the ball? Try the Inside Winger. Do you want your wingers to cut inside without the ball? Use Inside Forward.
Which attributes does an Inverted Winger need?
The Inverted Winger will need all the basic attributes you would expect from a winger: speed, dribbling. In addition to that, the Inverted Winger will also be asked to give a through pass or shoot on goal.
|Off the Ball||Composure|
|Off the Ball||Anticipation|
Inverted Winger player traits
Player traits are actions a player will more likely perform during a match than others.They don't give him extra abilities, but will affect his decision making. A player trait can be learned through individual training or through mentoring.
For an Inverted Winger you could be looking at the following player traits:
- Runs with ball often
- Places Shots
- Cuts inside from both wings
- Cuts inside from left/right wing
- Likes ball played into feet
- Gets into opposition area
Player Traits to avoid:
- Hugs Touchline
- Runs with ball down the left/right
Inverted Wingers in FM21:
A selection of the best Inverted Wingers in FM21.
- Lionel MessiAMR, AMC, STAMR, AMC, ST
- € 53,000,000€ 700,000,000
- Ángel Di MaríaMC, ML, AMR, AML, AMCML, AMR, AML
- € 30,000,000
- Eden HazardAMR, AML, AMCAML, AMC
- € 73,000,000€ 183,000,000
- NeymarML, AML, AMC, STML, AML
- € 91,000,000
- DuduAMR, AMLAMR, AML
- € 8,500,000
- Jadon SanchoMR, ML, AMR, AMLMR, ML, AMR, AML
- € 36,500,000
- Lorenzo InsigneML, AML, STAML, ST
- € 37,000,000
- Carlos VelaAMR, AML, AMC, STAMR, AML, AMC, ST
- € 4,400,000
- Bernardo SilvaMC, MR, AMR, AMCMC, AMR, AMC
- € 78,000,000
- Henrikh MkhitaryanAMR, AML, AMCAML, AMC
- € 16,750,000
- Iker MuniainMC, ML, AMR, AML, AMCMC, AMR, AML, AMC
- € 34,500,000€ 86,000,000
- SusoMR, AMR, AMCAMR
- € 24,500,000€ 61,000,000
- Antoine GriezmannAMR, AML, AMC, STAMR, AML, ST
- € 73,000,000€ 800,000,000
- Rubén GarcíaMC, MR, ML, AMR, AML, AMCAMR, AML, AMC
- € 13,000,000€ 10,000,000
- Florian ThauvinAMR, AML, AMCAMR
- € 25,500,000
- Riyad MahrezMR, AMR, AML, AMCMR, AMR
- € 47,000,000
- Mohamed SalahAMR, AML, STAMR, ST
- € 84,000,000